Catching Up…Posted: December 22, 2011 | |
I always think about posting to this blog late at night just as I’m falling asleep. Of course, once awake, I lose the brilliance that was last night’s inspiration and this is the result.
To catch up:
The blog was initially begun as a way for family and friends to keep track of me while enrolled in the doctoral program. I was promised that I’d have little time to eat or sleep, let alone correspond with other humans on the planet. Well, that was certainly true for the first two years, but this year that has been less so. Thus, less blogging.
The reach of the blog has expanded and allowed me to connect with heretofore unknown relatives, and that has been the very best part of posting here. (Waving to my “new” Hall cousins!)
The year is almost ended and it’s been quite a year. My first novel was published to good reviews. I even got my first royalty check recently…I was paid for my writing! Oh my gosh!
I was advanced to candidacy in the doctoral program and just yesterday began (after passing IRB requirements) the research phase. I even have a graduation date and tie: May 24th, 6:30 pm. Sweet.
Another semester of teaching has come and gone, quite quickly this time around.
Then there’s the surgery. Back surgery was successful, though not without its trauma. I have lingering paresthesias in the left leg below the knee and including the foot. The “drop foot” (a result of nerve damage from the surgery) gets significantly worse when I am out and about for any length of time. On the positive side, my walking is much smoother and, unless I’m excessively tired, you cannot really tell there’s damage.
Things I’ve learned this year:
- Nurses should be revered above all others. The middle-of-the-night freakout’s for post-op patients are made better by a kind word and a warm hand.
- Doctors should be very careful about overmedicating patients. I fell asleep on two separate occasions with food in my mouth. I was so severely overmedicated that they brought in a respiratory therapist because they thought I was having breathing problems. I was, but that was because my body was asleep!
- True friends are those who will go through anything with and for you. Cherish them.
- It’s all about love, everything else is just rhetoric. Go Navy (<– link. Those are words I never thought I’d say.)
- I’m sure I learned more, but at the moment, I’m out of bullet points.
Today: writing, some last Christmas shopping, lunch with the great Tammy at the WB, and then cleaning house for visiting family.
Tonight: More relaxing reading.
Merry Christmas, Good Solstice, Happy Hanukkah, Good Kwanzaa, and/or Happy Holidays (or days off) to all and sundry.